Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Confession of a Pie Hoarder

My friends, Sarah, and her adult daughter, Grace, are (in my humble opinion) champion pie bakers. Although pecan pie had not been one of my favorites until I met these two wonderful ladies, my mouth waters at the mere thought of a slice of their pecan pie.

They brought a whole pie to my home for a covered dish luncheon during the holidays. I put it in the refrigerator during the main course and forgot to set it out for the guests when we were ready for dessert. Was that a real slip of the memory, or a subconscious desire to hoard the delicious delicacy for my own enjoyment? Hmmm.... a point to ponder for a nano-second.

When it became apparent that I could not, in good conscience, hog the whole pie, I shared it with my co-workers. All it took was a two-line office-wide e-mail: "Home-made pecan pie in kitchen. Enjoy!"

 A stampede to rival a scene from "Rawhide" confirmed my suspicions that my office buddies weren't yet sugared-out from all the earlier treats and goodies presented throughout the month of December. I thought I saw Rowdy Yates among them, but, of course, it was a sweets-induced hallucination.

In this first week of the first month of the new year, I have cleansed my guilty conscience. I have confessed my desire to hoard a treasured pie, and shared my bounty with others.

Now, I have to ask myself: was my motive to share the delectable dessert seeded in a heart of giving, or my fear of an expanding waistline?

No comments:

Post a Comment