|Dr. Lou Barbieri|
10AM Biblical Living in a Non-Biblical World
On Sunday, May 8, 2016 (Mother's Day), in the Sunday School hour at Bayside Community Church, Dr. Lou Barbieri (former professor at Moody Bible Institute) offered great direction to living Biblically in a non-biblical world. Using Psalm 78, a Maskil (i.e. contemplative poem) of Asaph, this wonderful professor showed us three ways to maintain our Biblical prospective.
- REMEMBER -
- Remember the wondrous works of our Heavenly Father.
- His leadership as He led His people out of bondage.
- His protection as He shielded them from the hot sun of the desert with His pillar of cloud, and warmed them at night with his column of fire.
- His provision of Manna (which translates means: "What is it?"). He gave them enough to eat for each day. When they grumbled and demanded meat, He gave sent birds into the desert. He ordered Moses to strike a rock to bring forth water to drink.
- INSTRUCT -
- Teach the children about Him.
- Pass the Word to those who come behind us so that they will put their confidence in God.
- Teach our children and grandchildren about His strength and the wondrous works He has done.
- Teach them His laws that they may obey His commandments and not turn away to worship false gods.
- If we don't have children, we have opportunities to teach others who don't know about Jesus.
- TRUST IN HIM -
- Theocracy = God rules. The Israelites demanded an earthly king. They chose Saul, from the tribe of Benjamin. A tall, handsome man, he knew nothing about leadership.
- God chose David, a shepherd from the tribe of Judah, to rule His people. Sheep are defenseless without a shepherd.
- He also chose David His servant And took him from the sheepfolds; From the care of the ewes with suckling lambs He brought him to shepherd Jacob His people,
And Israel His inheritance. So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart, and guided them with his skillful hands. - Ps. 78:70-72
- "For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls." - 1 Peter 2:25
- God wants us to stay the course. Our non-Biblical society will continue regardless of who wins the next election.
"All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way; But the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him." - Isaiah 53:6
11AM Lou's Top 10 and Why