Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Vote!

In Hillsborough County we have the privilege of voting early in our elections. I'm not sure why the powers that be decided to open the polls two weeks before the actual election day, but I'm glad they did. Instead of standing in line, checking my watch every two seconds, and stressing about being late for work, I can zip out on my lunch hour, walk right in, show my driver's license (not my voter I.D.), and cast my vote.

Not voting is NEVER an option. How many men and women have spilled their blood to give me the right to vote? I cringe when people tell me they don't vote. And many don't vote because they either don't know or don't care about the issues, the candidates, or amendments. But you can bet your last dollar they know who got voted off the island on Survivor, who won the World Series, or who divorced whom in Hollyweird! Doesn't it make sense to learn about the candidates (and issues) who will have the power to raise or lower your taxes and make other decisions that will affect your liberty? Why do citizens care more about entertainers (many of whom are in that field because they are too lazy or ignorant to do anything productive), sports figures, or egomaniacs on a reality program? Maybe because it's easier than thinking.

I've enjoyed campaign walks and sign-waving events, and made some wonderful friends working for different candidates.

Study the issues & amendments, work on a candidate's campaign to get to know them (it's fun!), and go vote! You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment